As a wedding photographer, you know that capturing the perfect shot is essential to telling the story of the day. That’s why we’ve put together this list of 97 wedding photography shot ideas to help you capture the spirit and emotion of the special day. So whether you’re looking for inspiration or just want some new ideas to add to your repertoire, be sure to check out our list!
Wedding Shot List for Photographers
1. Bride getting ready – This shot is classic and captures the true essence of a wedding day. Get close-ups of the bride’s hair, makeup, and dress before she walks down the aisle.
2. Groom getting ready – Just like the bride, capture some great shots of the groom as he gets dressed for the ceremony.
3. Details – Capturing the details of the wedding day is essential. Get shots of the invitations, rings, decor, and anything else that helps to tell the story of your big day.
4. Family portraits – Have a few different family portrait shots planned out during your pre-wedding consultation. This will ensure that you get all of the necessary shots on the day.
5. Formal group photos – Along the same lines, you’ll want to capture formal group photos with all of your guests at different stages during the day.
6. Bridal party portraits – Before or after the ceremony, make sure to get some stunning shots of the bridal party in their outfits.
7. Bride and groom portraits – This is one of the most important shots to get! Make sure you get a few different angles so that your clients have a variety of photos to choose from.
8. First look – If you’re feeling adventurous, why not suggest a first look to your clients? This is where the bride and groom see each other for the first time before the ceremony.
9. First kiss – Don’t forget to capture this special moment as the newlyweds lock lips!
10. Ceremony – Document all of the important moments during the ceremony, such as the exchanging of vows and the ring exchange.
11. Reception – As soon as the reception starts, start snapping away! Get shots of guests mingling, eating, dancing, and having a good time.
12. Cutting the cake – This is an iconic wedding shot that can’t be missed! Make sure to get a few different angles of the cake-cutting.
13. Bouquet toss – This is another classic wedding shot that you don’t want to miss!
14. Garter toss – And while you’re at it, remember to capture the garter toss as well!
15. Exit shot or sparklers – As the bride and groom leave, capture their exit in style with either a sparkler shot or if you’re feeling creative, a confetti cannon might be even better!
16. Candid moments – There are so many great candid shots waiting to be captured during a wedding day. Make sure to keep your eyes peeled for special moments between the bride and groom or other guests.
17. Get creative! – Now is the time to get creative with your shots! Play around with angles, lighting, and composition to capture unique and memorable shots that your clients will love.
18. Bridesmaids helping the bride with her dress – Capture some great candid shots of the bridesmaids helping the bride get ready for her big day.
19. Groomsmen getting ready – Get some great shots of the groomsmen as they help the groom prepare for his wedding day.
20. Candid moments with parents – Document special moments between the bride and groom and their parents as they prepare for the day.
21. Bride and groom with friends – Capture some unforgettable shots of the bride and groom with their closest friends.
22. Portrait of bride in veil – Get some beautiful shots of the bride in her veil before she takes it off at the ceremony.
19. Groomsmen fixing ties and cufflinks – Get some great shots of the groomsmen fiddling with ties and cufflinks as they prep for the ceremony.
24. Details of Bride’s dress – Get some close-ups of the bride’s dress, shoes, jewelry, and other accessories to document all of her details.
25. Groom holding bouquet – Have the groom hold the bride’s bouquet for a unique and creative shot.
26. Bride and groom jumping in the air – Capture an unforgettable moment of joy as the newlyweds jump up in the air together!
27. Bride and groom running away from camera – Have some fun with your shots by having the bride and groom run away from the camera.
28. Close-up of rings – Get some close-ups of the bride and groom’s wedding bands to document this important part of the day.
29. Family portraits – Capture special moments between families with formal or informal portrait shots.
30. Bride and groom walking hand-in-hand – Document the couple’s walk together with a few different shots of them hand-in-hand.
31. Bride and groom toasting with champagne – Capture the newlyweds celebrating their love with a glass of bubbly!
32. Fun reception shots – Get some fun shots of the bride and groom interacting with their guests, either on the dance floor or just mingling.
33. Groom helping bride with dress – Get a sweet shot of the groom helping his bride with her wedding dress.
34. Bride and groom in photo booth – Capture some fun shots of the couple in a photo booth or similar set-up.
35. Bride and groom in the rain – For a unique shot of the couple, capture them embracing in the rain!
36. Group shots – Take some group shots of families and friends to document their time together on the wedding day.
37. Dancing parents – Get some great shots of the couples’ parents dancing together for a truly special moment.
38. Bride and groom with cake – Capture some fun shots of the bride and groom having their first slice of wedding cake together!
39. Formal family portraits – Get some formal portrait shots of the couple’s families to document this important part of the wedding day.
40. Bride and groom with gifts – Get some shots of the couple surrounded by all the special gifts they’ve received from their loved ones.
41. Bride with bridesmaids – Capture some sweet shots of the bride with her bridesmaids to document this important part of the day.
42. Groom with groomsmen – Get some creative shots of the groom and his groomsmen before or during the ceremony.
43. Bride in veil from far away – Take a few shots of the bride in her veil from afar for an interesting perspective.
44. Bride with flower girls – Get some beautiful shots of the bride with her flower girls to capture this special moment.
45. Candid ceremony moments – Document all the special, candid moments between the couple during their ceremony.
46. Groom seeing bride for first time – Capture this unforgettable moment as the groom sees his bride for the first time.
47. Bride and groom at sunset – Arrange a photoshoot of the couple at sunset for some romantic shots.
48. First kiss as husband and wife – Get some amazing shots of the newlyweds’ first kiss as husband and wife!
49. Close-up of bride’s bouquet – Capture a close-up of the bride’s bouquet for some stunning detail shots.
50. Formal dancing shots – Get some great shots of the couple waltzing on the dance floor during their first dance.
51. Bride and groom in getaway car – Capture a photo of the couple in their getaway car as they leave the reception.
52. Bride with her parents – Get some special shots of the bride with her parents to document this important moment.
53. Groom with his parents – Capture a few shots of the groom and his parents to remember this wonderful moment.
54. Bride and groom greeting guests – Document the couple as they greet their guests at the reception.
55. Group shots of wedding party – Get some special group shots of all the bridesmaids and groomsmen together.
56. First dance from afar – Take a few shots of the couple’s first dance from a distance for a unique perspective.
57. Bride and groom in the crowd – Capture some fun shots of the couple mingling with their guests on the dance floor.
58. Children at reception – Get some adorable shots of any children present at the reception, either playing or dancing.
59. Tossing of the bouquet – Get some great shots of the bride tossing her bouquet for a fun moment.
60. Garter toss – Document the groom as he removes his bride’s garter and tosses it to the guests at the reception.
61. Bride and groom walking away from ceremony – Capture a few photos of the couple walking away from the ceremony, hand in hand.
62. Bride and groom cutting cake – Get some amazing shots of the bride and groom as they share their first slice of wedding cake together.
63. Bride saying goodbye to father – Document this special moment as the bride says goodbye to her father before leaving the reception.
64. Bride and groom with sparklers – Get some fun shots of the couple surrounded by their friends holding up sparklers for a unique photo opportunity.
65. Bride and groom with confetti – Capture some beautiful photos of the couple surrounded by confetti for that truly special moment.
66. Bride and groom with wedding party – Get some great group shots of the bride, groom, bridesmaids and groomsmen together.
67. Professional portrait of couple – Arrange a photoshoot of the couple in their wedding attire for some stunning professional portraits.
68. Bride alone – Take a few shots of the bride alone for a unique perspective.
69. Groom alone – Capture a few photos of the groom by himself, looking strong and handsome in his wedding attire.
70. Bride with bridesmaids – Get some fun shots of the bride with her bridesmaids to remember this special moment.
71. Groom with groomsmen – Take some great shots of the groom with his groomsmen to remember this wonderful moment.
72. Bride in getting ready room – Capture the bride as she gets ready for her big day, surrounded by her closest friends and family.
73. Groom in getting ready room – Document the groom as he gets ready for his big day, surrounded by his closest friends and family.
74. Bride’s shoes – Get some stunning close-up shots of the bride’s shoes to show off all the detail.
75. Rings on bouquet – Capture a shot of the couple’s wedding rings sitting atop the bride’s bouquet for some great detail shots.
76. Close-up of cake – Take a few close-up shots of the couple’s wedding cake to show off all the amazing detail.
77. Bride and groom with family – Capture some lovely shots of the couple with their families to remember this special moment.
78. Bride and groom with pets – Get some fun shots of the couple with their beloved pets for a unique photo opportunity.
79. Guests laughing – Document the guests as they laugh and enjoy themselves during the reception for some great candid shots.
80. Candid moments between bride and groom – Get some beautiful candid shots of the couple to remember this special moment.
81. Bride exiting limo – Capture a few photos of the bride as she exits her limousine and makes her way towards the ceremony.
82. Groom’s reaction to seeing the bride – Take some stunning shots of the groom’s reaction to seeing the bride for the first time.
83. Bride entering ceremony – Document the bride as she enters the ceremony, making her grand entrance.
84. Groom’s parents looking on proudly – Capture some photos of the groom’s parents watching their son get married with pride and joy in their eyes.
85. Candid shots of guests – Take some candid shots of the guests as they mingle and enjoy themselves for some wonderful memories.
86. Bride walking down aisle – Document this special moment as the bride walks down the aisle towards her groom.
87. Bridesmaids walking down aisle – Capture a few photos of the bridesmaids as they walk down the aisle to join the bride.
88. Groom’s reaction to seeing bride – Get some beautiful shots of the groom’s reaction to seeing his bride for the first time.
89. The couple exchanging rings – Document this special moment as the couple exchange rings and vow to be together forever.
90. Bride and groom kissing – Capture the couple’s first kiss as husband and wife for a truly special moment.
91. Guests applauding – Take some photos of the guests applauding the newlyweds in celebration of their union.
92. Couple leaving ceremony – Capture a few photos of the couple leaving the ceremony as husband and wife.
93. Reception entrance – Document this special moment as the couple enters their reception to greet their guests.
94. Couple’s first dance – Take some stunning shots of the couple’s first dance together as husband and wife.
95. Guests enjoying reception – Capture some lovely candid shots of the guests as they enjoy themselves and celebrate the union of the newlyweds.
96. Bride and groom exit – Document this special moment as the couple exits their reception and heads off on their new journey together.
97. Couple walking away in sunset – Take some beautiful shots of the couple walking away together in the sunset for a romantic and timeless photo.
With this list of 97 wedding photography shot ideas, you will have all you need to create an amazing shot list for your clients special day. Capturing these moments with care and attention to detail will ensure that they are able to look back on their wedding day and relive all the special moments of this important day.
Remind yourself that it’s not about getting every shot perfect, but rather capturing the emotion of the day in a unique way — your way!
Finally, let’s discuss the importance of having a schedule and timeline for the wedding day.
Wedding Photography Schedule
Now that you have a list of shot ideas prepared, you will want to create a wedding photography schedule. To create your schedule, start by listing out each shot idea and the approximate time of day it should take place. We have an article with more detailed information about planning out a wedding photography timeline
Creating a wedding photography schedule is an essential part of the planning process and will help you ensure that everything goes to plan on the day. With a detailed list of shot ideas in hand and a clear schedule in place, you will be able to capture all the special moments and create beautiful memories that the couple can cherish for a lifetime.
Last Updated on November 8, 2023 by Zazoosh